Sunday, January 20, 2013

童话:"Fairytale" by Michael Wong

童话, or "Tong Hua", is the third solo album by Michael Wong, a Malaysian singer, and was released 8 years ago tomorrow, on January 21st, 2005. It is his strongest single, and is arguably the most successful Chinese language song of the 21st century (so far). Wong became the first Malaysian to win four awards in the Hong Kong TVB8 Golden Music Awards(comparable to the U.S. Grammy awards) in 2005: Best Composition, Best Composer/Artist, Top Ten Songs of the Year, and Best of the Year's Top Ten Songs.

It is a love song, and could be sung from the point of view of either guy or girl, although it is from the guy's perspective in most videos.

The official music video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOeFSgQEsMQ
The official Jason Chen/ J Rice version [English/Chinese cover] is here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuh_IfVtJ3M

This video has been highly debated. Wong is performing the song at a concert, and it's also being sent over phone to a girl in a hospital. Throughout the video, one comes to realize that the girl is probably his girlfriend, and is very sick. She is put in the hospital after she has an nosebleed and collapses [speculated to have lung cancer]. In the voiceovers at the end, she says in Chinese: "When the whole world ignored me, only you never left me alone." It is unknown whether the music video is based on a real-life story.

I'm not a huge fan of the music video, but the story is touching and I  LOVE  the song.


Without further to do, here are the lyrics:

♫忘了有多久再沒聽到你
對我說你最愛的故事
我想了很久 我開始慌了
是不是我又做錯了什麼

你哭著對我說 童話裡都是騙人的
我不可能是你的王子
也許你不會懂 從你說愛我以後
我的天空 星星都亮了

我願變成童話裡 你愛的那個天使
張開雙手變成翅膀守護你
你要相信 相信我們會像童話故事裡

幸福和快樂是結局

一起寫我們的結局♫

And for those of you who can't read Chinese characters (I'm assuming you're in the majority here,) here is the pronunciation of the Chinese (otherwise known as pinyin. The English equivalent would be phonetics) and an English translation.

Pinyin:
♫wang le you duo jiu
 zai mei ting dao ni
dui wo shuo ni
zui ai de gu shi

wo xiang le hen jiu
wo kai shi huang le
shi bu shi wo you
 zuo cuo le shen me

ni ku zhe dui wo shuo
tong hua li dou shi pian ren de
wo bu ke neng
 shi ni de wang zi
ye xü ni bu hui dong
 cong ni shuo ai wo yi hou
wo de tian kong
xing xing dou liang le

wo yüan bian chen
tong hua li
ni ai de na ge tian shi
zhang kai shuang shou
 bian chen chi bang shou hu ni
ni yao xiang xin
 xiang xin wo men hui xiang tong hua gu shi li
xin fu he kuai le shi jie jü

yi qi xie wo men de jie jü♫

English translation:

(These aren't the official English lyrics, but they are best translation according to my Chinese teacher, who introduced me to this song. After listening to multiple versions and renditions of this song on YouTube countless times, I concur.) This is the translation from the Jason Chen/ J Rice versions.


V1
Don't know how long
its been a while since
you told me... your favorite story.

Its been on my mind
driving me crazy
am i the reason
you're crying now?

V2
I see the tears in your eyes
they tell me you don't believe
that I cant be...your prince charming

maybe you can't understand
but when you said you loved me
my life was changed
and I wish you could see

Chorus:
I'm willing to be the one
and the angel that you love
with open arms I'll always be there
you must believe
that you and me
can end up happily
with our own fairytale story

End:
writing our fairytale story♫

Hope you enjoy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment